The Design Engineering function supports business needs and continuous improvement efforts through appropriate technical product and engineering principle development of employees and management.
Job Description and Duties:
Provides a high level of non-supervisory engineering work involving broad assignments. Plans and directs engineering associated with assigned projects though all phases of design, development, manufacture, test and commissioning. Establishes priorities for work assigned and that delegated to others. Provides work direction and technical expertise to those department personnel engaged in tasks assigned.
Principal duties performed in collaboration with the Lead Design Engineer or Engineering Manager consists of, but are not limited to:
• Contract design project responsibility to translate design specifications and code requirements into the requisite product design, oversee preparation of manufacturing drawings, contractual submittals, procedures, testing and analytical design reports. Many of these activities will require close collaboration with project management, quality assurance, and manufacturing personnel.
• Client technical support assistance to end users in the installation, operation, maintenance and technical oversight of HTI manufactured equipment.
• Application sales, field service, shop service and aftermarket sales technical support in determining the appropriate application of equipment, interpretation of specifications, material recommendations, code compliance and providing supplementary data to support sales activities.
• Manufacturing support providing technical assistance to the manufacturing floor to assist in achieving specified design requirements and resolution of conflicts that arise in attaining the specified design or contractual obligations.
• Perform product performance testing and work closely with test personnel in developing test procedures, training, determination of test requirements and interpretation of test results.
• Participate and/or lead development projects in the expansion and improvement of existing product and new products.
In order to perform the assigned duties it is necessary to have well developed analytical skills as it applies to rotating mechanical equipment design and analysis and a fundamental understanding of mechanical engineering principles including structural and fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and other multi-discipline such as material science, electro-mechanical engineering, vibration and failure analysis.
Preparation of new designs, design modifications, reports and new product proposals may require development of sketches, CAD drawings, models hydraulic designs from in-house software and FEA analysis. Validation of these processes will require the performance and check of most types of calculations, design and analysis, and test validation using both computer aided and manual techniques.
Other related duties as required.
• Due to Federal Contract requirements, US Citizenship is required for this position.
• BSME and 6-10 years of mechanical engineering design and analysis in the field of industrial rotating machinery such as pumps, turbines or compressors.
• Concentration in the power generation or chemical process industries a plus.
• The successful candidate will possess strong SolidWorks skills, and be able to conduct stress and thermal analysis with manual or finite element analysis techniques.
• Exhibit a thorough understanding of pertinent codes, governing regulations and industry practice. Demonstrated experience utilizing the ASME Code Section VIII or Section III desired.
• Ability to read & interpret engineering drawings, standards and specifications
• Comprehensive understanding of mechanical engineering principles associated with the design, analysis and operation of centrifugal pumps
• Expected travel is 10-20% yearly
• Proficient in SolidWorks, MathCad, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Internet
• Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
• Detail oriented, organized, works independently, and highly motivated
Share it using the tools below.